Wednesday, September 30, 2009

The Life of an Adm. Counselor Pt. 1

So...the life of an Admission Counselor is very unique. I am traveling from city to city in CA for about 8 weeks! I would probably be going insane if it were not for music, a bluetooth, and the fact that I like to drive. I am able to sing loudly to some of my favorite artists such as Josh Garrels, Alicia Keyes, Nickel Creek, Black Eyed Peas, etc... I have also been able to rekindle some friendships with people I rarely speak to. And liking to drive is just plain weird, but for those of you who know me well, the alone time and thinking about life is a plus.

I wish I started this Saga about three weeks ago, because it would be chock full of funny stories that I am unable to recall right now, but here are some of my favorites so far.

1. Student in front of a class of 30 students: "So do people like drink at your school?" Me: "Yes, apple juice is really good for you."
2. "Do you have Christian Massage?" (this actually happened to Jessica, not me :( )
3. Having my first car-wash when your car gets scrubbed and sprayed and rinsed and dried; the little wheels on the track push your car along
4. Entering the I-90 with a group of 10 UPS trucks
5. Making at least 5 U-Turns in one day
6. Logically inept woman telling me her daughter can't go to Westmont because we have fires...
7. A parent herding me into a corner about financial aid and the rules on campus, to see if I will mess up
8. 6 girls showing up for my presentation because they saw me at a fair and thought I was cute. Clearly I do whatever it takes to lure 'em in
9. Students shaking my hand very firmly and making sure to say their first and last name in order to stand out from the crowd.... as if I will remember
10. A high school counselor making me a cup of coffee and chatting for an hour about Westmont and life; no students showed up
11. Learning street names in Fresno, Bakersfield, Modesto, Visalia... it will be very helpful for the vacations I plan to the central valley
12. Speaking with no microphone, in an auditorium, to 70 students
13. Crying after my visit to a school
14. Getting a beer with my waitress after she got off work
15. Having dinner with counselors from APU, Cal Baptist, William Jessup, and Point Loma to celebrate Ryan's (Point Loma) B-day away from home and his wife.

There is rarely ever a dull moment as you can see, and I plan to do a few more of these lists when events or stories come up in my days.
Although work literally is my life right now, I feel completely blessed. Love you all

8 comments:

Kelsey said...

You just keep using your charm to reel in the ladies, Ev ;).

No, but in all seriousness, I can't wait to hear more about how this experience has been for you. I'm sure you're doing an amazing job!!

Kurt Walker said...

This is awesome.

I love seeing the other side of this whole process. And I love hearing about your life too :)

Tom Shank said...

Ev, i love you man. Sorry i set those girls up to go to your presentation... ; )

John said...

Ev,
you are a stud.

Thank you for that post. I loved your stories.

You grabbed a beer with your waitress! So freaking cool. Remember when that happened to Harry in the last movie?

Yeah, me too.

Vanassa said...

i hope (for reading enjoyment) you run into more logically inept people

great stories and how fun is getting your car washed while you're still in it!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your stories with humor. liked the waitress one too :)

Anonymous said...

I will only go to Westmont if they have Christian "deep tissue" Massage and if I know there are at least a few people that get "liquored up" there. Love the stories!

ajn said...

14. is my favorite one.