Sunday, July 20, 2008

Back to SB

Today, I returned back to my summer home of Santa Barbara, CA. It was so great being home and getting to spend time with each and every one of my family members. I also got to see a lot of my extended family which was such a blessing as I was only in CO for 6 full days. Today my sisters, dad and I played tennis with all my cousins minus one. It was a lot of fun getting to see them all and creating chaos on the tennis courts. It was also more difficult to say goodbye I think, because it was such a good time at home. The flight was pretty smooth despite some bouncy turbulence near the cities of departure and arrival, but it was really cool looking out at the clouds in the sky. It is just fascinating looking at those massive and heavy clumps of moisture in the sky that seem to hang there as if held up by strings from the heavens. It really blew me away thinking how intricate and confusing nature really is.
However, it is good to be back. I was really glad to see almost all of my friends tonight, minus John, Drew, Adam, and Brandon. I realized that I missed them since I was gone for a whole week, and a few of them had trips of their own during the week. One thing I don't miss though is the crazy life of California. It is definitely a different world from Westcliffe. I could go a day without hearing a car in Westcliffe, but I can't avoid the noise when I am here. It was pretty stressful as I pulled out onto the highways today. I almost felt like I had to become a different person. This sounds pretty intense but it was kind of true. I was anxious and nervous on the busy roads trying to fight for spots between cars, passing traffic, getting blocked when I put my blinker on to switch lanes.
It was a pretty weird feeling. I told myself that I would never life in Southern California during that moment. It may be true, something like the traffic could deter me from living here, but then again I am a feeler, and the feeling has yet to linger very strongly for more than about 6 hours so who knows. But, it is almost 2 AM CO time and I think that means I need to hit the hay. Goodnight/Goodmorning world.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hah! His true colors show, and he isn't one of us! Any real Californian knows how to deal with bad drivers (become a worse driver yourself).

Okay just kidding, I'm glad you're back safely at OV and that you had such a good time at home. Can you believe that we're going to be packing out for Imprint in three weeks? What happened?

What is the rest of your summer like, are you telecommunications-ing it up?

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you had a good time. I look forward to hearing about it!

Anonymous said...

Evan,
What a great week in CO for you. Glad I could be part of it. I wouldn't want anyone else for a son than you.

Love,
Dad