Wednesday, July 9, 2008

A simple day

So today I have not done much productive so far. However I had some cool stuff happen. I was looking on the iTunes store and found a free audiobook of The Alchemist which was really exciting, because I have wanted to read it, am obsessed with reading, and think audiobooks are badass but too expensive. So it was quite a find and I have already listened to 40 mintues out of 4 hrs. and 15 min. I am also really excited to listen to the weekly free podcast called "This American Life" to which Adam introduced me. I have never been very good at small talk, have been good at medium talk, and excelled I suppose at ?large? talk? What I am saying is that I think I have found new ways in which to small and medium talk with people for which I am grateful, because I can sort of awkward sometimes I think. But I digress.
Despite the fact I have not really done much today I have in fact set a goal for the day. It has been a recurring goal as I have yet to fulfill it, but in essence it has been a way to quench my competitive spirit. When I first came to work at the switchboard I was introduced to Snood which is a game where you shoot colored gems/balls into a preset map of these mixed colors. The object is to bounce the gem off the wall or not and have it touch another of the same color that is already in place. By making set of three or more of the same colors, these gems will fall and anything that is not attached and is below the gems that fell will fall as well. The gems move closer as you try to remove all the gems to win. It is pretty fun and time consuming, but most imortantly I have the highest score on EVIL difficulty. RARRRRRRRR, but the premise of my goal has come out of the fact that I do not have all the high scores (sound like Mario Kart Em and Lan?) for all the modes of the games. Easy, medium, hard, child, journey, custom. These are not even challenges so I don't waste my time, but Journey mode is where the frustration all started. I had the high score until about a week ago; my boss beat it twice since then. How he managed to do this, I have yet to learn? Needless to say I am pissed. I rationalize that he has gotten lucky and has been given the right colors at the right time, but two clear victories for him does not support this conclusion. So.....I AM GOING TO BEAT HIM. I don't care how long it takes, because I have all the time in the world. In the meantime it is proving to be a humbling experience that is probably good for my well-being, or maybe not.
I have also started to read Blue Like Jazz again which I am pretty excited about. Donald Miller is pretty funny with how he simplifies life and he loves to have a good laugh at himself which I enjoy as well. Please tell me what you think of it, call me to talk about it, share your favorite parts, etc... Okay, that's all folks and je vous-aime.

2 comments:

Kelsey said...

I have wasted many hours of my life playing Snood.

damn journey level gets me every time.

Daniel said...

i agree, audiobooks are pretty badass